10 April 2011

Ontario, Canada / Mid West US Green Bolide Fireball Meteor Multiple Events? 9APR/10April2011


Hamilton, Ont., Canada Green fireball April 10 1:30am 

Hi there,
I didn`t want to leave my e-mail on the public message boards, but was looking to see if anyone else had seen something like this.
I just saw a green fireball or meteor falling in the sky, I`ve never seen anything bright green light this in the sky. It was also larger than any falling star I`ve seen. I am located in southern ontario near Hamilton. I attached this article because of the illustration that is very similar to what I saw but with a longer tail. I was having a campfire with a group of people, a few of us all saw it and were astonished. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated!
Melissa

Kingston, Ontario  12:45 AM 10APR2011
I may have seen a meteor just to the West of Kingston, Ontario at about 12:45 AM... It was green, and lasted for about a second and a half. 
Catherine M.

Wooler, Ontario  Bolide Fireball with Rumbling and Popping 12:51 am 10APR2011
Apr 10 2011, 2:43 PMGuest618 (guest): Hi.Saw the biggest thing i have ever seen tonight. 12:45am Wooler, Ontario thought it was lightning at first, then a huge falling star streaking across the sky. Lit up the dead of night for a good 4 to 5 seconds. About a minute later you could hear a noise like thunder and almost like fireworks,rumbled for close to 30 seconds. very creepy.
Wooler is east of toronto. just north of trenton. never have i seen anything like it. pretty cool the time diference in siting.travelling east to west, which is the way i thought it was going. but to take 10 to 15 min to travel less than 200 km seems weird it is the noise afterwards that is still giving me chills. rumble and popping.  i looked at my cell phone and it was 12:51 but it was a good few minutes afterwards. i was jamming with a couple friends and we were getting in the cars to leave when it happened isaw the sky lighting up and thought there must be some lightning around. then there was a streak across the sky and the ball seemed to expand just like a firework would, right over our heads and disapeared

Hamilton, ON, Canada April 10 approx 1: 30am. 
Yes I can confirm I also saw a large meteor falling in the sky similar to Melissa's post from near Hamilton. I am in Dundas. I saw it from inside my home facing East. Appeared to be moving quickly southwest to northeast. By the time I saw it before it disappeard in a couple of seconds, it was low on the horizon and appeared a large white fireball, much larger than a typical meteor shower like the persaids, must have been extremely close! Glad to have confirmed others witnessed it!
All the best,
Katie West


Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
My name is Gregory Maza. I was driving from Stratford toward Kitchener, (Ontario, Canada) approaching to the intersection of the Highway 7 and Trussler Rd. when I saw that beautiful spectacle. For about 1.5 seconds a bolide on my front/left (North-East) went down in straight angle (or close to 90 degrees). I checked the time immediately, 12:47 am (0:47 am) – April 10-2010. It had fragmentation at least two or three pieces before reach ground (I'm sure it landed). It was intense yellow, orange and some blue. It had a persistent train for about another 1 or 2 seconds, yellow to white before it disappeared in grey. Apparent magnitude close to -11. As I said, I was driving in a car on the highway (windows closed), so no sound could be heard. It was amazing!!!! -Gregory Maza

Montreal, Canada
Last night at around 12 - 1 I was sitting on my balcony when I saw a large flaming object shooting towards the ground. I'm colorblind so I can only say it was either yellow or green- At first- I thought it was a firework- very bright, but it didn't make a sound and as I recall I've never seen a firework look like it had a trail of fire behind it. I searched on google to see if anyone else had seen it- found this website- but what I find strange is the fact that everyone is from Ontario- and I saw it in Montreal! Would you please keep me updated on this? Thank you so much for your time and consideration! Best Regards, Jonathan Beaton

Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada
Driving home from a friends place around 1am. A green light flew across the sky within a few seconds. No sound followed. - Victoria


Holland, NY
I'm so glad other people saw this! My family thought I was crazy. I live in Holland, NY about 30 miles south of Buffalo NY. It was 12:50am and I was in bed watching T.V. when I spotted a green glow shooting across the sky. It was huge and bright. Any more thoughts on what it was? - Anon.


Mulberry Grove, Illinois
My husband and I saw such a spectacular meteor on Saturday. I did a google search to see if anyone else had seen it. I found your site through this search.
We were visiting Mulberry Grove Illinois on Saturday, 9 April 2011. At around 11:00 pm, we saw a meteor to the east northeast. It was gold with a green sparkly tail. My husband noticed the smoke trail. It traveled from the south to the north, was about 20-30 degrees above the horizon, and had about a 45 degree slope to the trajectory (from higher in the sky to lower).
We hope this is detailed enough for your records. Unfortunately, we do not know the exact time when we saw it. If you need any more information, please feel free to email or call.
Wishing you dark skies,
Darcy and Howard Saxion

Peterborough,Ontario, Canada Green Bolide just after Midnight 10APR2011
Guest121 (guest):Just after midnight. In Peterborough,Ontario, Canada. Walking out of my campus university me and two friends observed a large green "firework like"object in the sky. it was far to bright and high to be a firework.it illuminated the entire sky. later researched it and found out it is known as a bolide. it was so mind-blowing.

Cambridge, Ontario Canada 1 am 10APR2011
Vince Dwyer:
 saw a greenish meteorite april 10 at 1 am going west to east over Cambridge Ontario Canada lasted about 5 to 6 seconds and was greenish to white in color and was very bright it lit up the whole sky
we are a hour ahead is wooler east of toronto? thats in the same diretion as the one i seen tonight i wonder if they are the same one yea it was very large and very bright here too im about a hour west of tornonto but it could be either one of us with are times off or clocks off  my timing might not be spot on i was out taking pictures of stars with my camera setup and was pointed in the wrong direction when i seen it yea i chatted with a few buddies myself before i went inside when i seen it it started off very green and was turning white another 20 degrees on my camera and i would have got a pic of it would have been nice yea last i seen of it it was getting larger too.
Vince wrote more:
Hi you asked me to email you about the green abject i seen in the sky Saturday night at 1 am. I live in Cambridge Ontario i`m a photographer i was outside getting a few shots of the night sky. I just finished taking a time elapsed photo right above me and then i seen the green object it started small It was coming out of the western sky and continued east while color changing from green to white it lasted for me around 5 to six seconds and it did about 4 or 5 hops all the time growing in size until it disappeared over the horizon it was very bright as it went beyond the horizon :). -Vince


Victor, NY Green Meteor 1:00 am 10APR2011
Looking North from Victor NY , I saw a green meteorite fireball at approx. 1:00 am last night, April 09,2011. It was a bright green with a glowing fireball headed west. The fireball lasted about 2-3 seconds. MY first green meteor. I was wondering if anyone else might have spotted it. Thank you
-Theresa B.

Farmington, NY and on April 10th at approx. 12:55 AM
I am located in Farmington, NY and on April 10th at approx. 12:55 AM I saw what appeared to be a meteorite falling to the north of my location. The object was a bright neon green color and appeared to be round like a small ball followed by a streak of green light. It and was only visible for a couple of seconds before it disappeared behind the tree line. Almost immediately after it disappeared there was a bright flash as if there was an explosion. - Kathy


Birdsall, NY bright green ball of light ~1:00 am 10APR2011
I am so glad that I am not the only one that saw a bright green ball of light fall out of the sky and "explode" into a bright light and then disappear. I was driving home(Dansville, NY) around 1:00 am on April 10, 2011 on a back road in a small town, Birdsall, NY. I was the only car on the road. The sky was clear with very little stars. At least I had a friend with me so I wasn't totally losing my mind! I wanted to follow it by friend said "no." Thanks for the reasures that we weren't seeing things. - Wendy

Centerville ohio 12:01 April 10, 2011
Apr 10 2011, 1:49 PMGuest409 (guest): 12:01 am April 10, 2011
Centerville ohio 12:01 April 10, 2011 nice size meteor with small fire tail. saw about 3 - 4 seconds in W NW sky.

Toledo, OH
Me and my friend saw a large green meteor in Toledo, OH last night (4/9/11) just before 12am. It never faded or slowed as long as we saw it. It's approximate direction was heading NW. Such an amazing thing to see. Never seen a green one... Anon.

Auburn, New York Green Light at 12:45 am 10APR2011
 At 12:45 am I was standing outside in Auburn, New York (about 25 miles west of Syracuse) with a friend. His eyes got wide and I looked up and we watched a very bright greenish-blue... light... fly rapidly from southern horizon over the northern horizon towards northern New York/ Canada. If you've ever seen a telephone line transformer blow up then you'll the kind of light intensity we're talking here because that was my immediate thought.
Being as that it covered the span of both horizons in the space of a second and a half, I can not accurately guess what kind of speed that object was moving at... but it made NO noise. No sonic boom. There was absolutely no tail or trail following the light. If it was a meteor, or "green fireball" (I tried looking this thing up online) it behaved in no way like any meteor I've ever seen.
I'm not prone to exaggeration. I'm not prone to "wanting to believe" or "doubt." This just is what it is. Makes one want to just point a camera at the sky at all times. Last, in 2003 I saw, during the day, a monsterous fireball heading south by south east in this same area. It made the news. That one was fiery orange and red and left a brilliant trail. This one last night looked nothing like the 2003 fireball. Then again, daylight could make the difference. -Timmy J.
 
O'Fallon MO tonight around 11pm 9APR2011

I saw a light shoot through the sky tonight around 11pm. It looked like a shooting star or a comet but it was so large. It had to be really close or really big. It was glowing kind of green. If you have any idea what this could be would you reply to my email? It really was strange. 
Linda Becker

O'Fallon MO tonight ~11pm 9APR2011
it was in o'fallon Misssouri, at like 11 pm and it was grreen it looked like a ball and smokee.
~Trey

Twin Cities Illinois saw a meteor at about 11:00 pm 9APR2011
Apr 10 2011, 2:14 PMGuest922 (guest): Twin Cities Illinois saw a meteor at about 11:00 pm or Shortly after.Was teal blue and was the size of a baseball and was awesome.

St. Louis, Mo 11 pm 9APR2011
I saw the same thing around 11 pm in St. Louis, Mo heading north. It was very large and green and teal. It only lasted for a few seconds. -Kristen Muehlenfeld

Eolia, MO April 9, approx 11pm 9APR2011
Large greenish and white fireball that burned out 20 to 25 degrees over the horizon as we looked due north. Fireball was moving east to west. Later wrote: I double checked the area where we watched the fireball on google earth, and the direction I was looking was directly northeast, not north, which means the path of the fireball was southeast to northwest.
- Adam Woehler

St Louis / Richmond Heights MO large greenish colored fireball ~11:00 pm 9APR2011
Myself and three others in a neighbor's back yard saw a large greenish colored fireball or meteorite around 11:00ish pm. Very big and not your typical small falling star. Very cool.
Bonnie Blume

St. Louis, MO bright green meteor around 11:00 9APR2011
I saw a bright green meteor around 11:00 in St. Louis, MO. It was very bright, in fact I was at a gas station with a lot of lights when I saw it. It looked like it was heading north-ish. My friend in Wright City, MO also saw it and she said it had a pretty sparkling tail. -Mandi Milenko

West Olive, Michigan green meteor at approximately 11:55 PM EST, April 9.
green meteor at approximately 11:55 PM EST, April 9.I am located in West Olive, Michigan. I was walking west towards my house and observed a large green object in the SW sky, just above the trees (probably 20-25 degrees above the horizon). It was traveling westward, and was faster than any airplane. It seemed to have red in it also, but was predominantly green. It had a small trail behind it, but the trail quickly disappeared behind it. It was irregular in shape. I lost sight of it as it travelled past the treeline on the horizon to my SW. I observed it for approxiamtely 3 seconds after initially sighting it. My daughter was with me and she saw it also.
Kurt Sokoly


Brentwood, Tennessee fireball ~11pm April 9, 2011
I was driving North on I-65 between Franklin and Brentwood Tennessee around 11pm on Saturday, April 9, 2011 when I very briefly, perhaps a second or two, saw a fire ball in the general direction of North. It appeared to be going straight down. I took note of it because it was so bright. I knew it was pretty far away, but not that far.
Mike Plunk

Québec 
My boyfriend and 3 other friends saw a fireball in the sky big as a moon ang green in Québec yesterday night 9 april 2011. -Brigitte


Montreal
Last night at around 12 - 1 I was sitting on my balcony when I saw a large flaming object shooting towards the ground. I'm colorblind so I can only say it was either yellow or green- At first- I thought it was a firework- very bright, but it didn't make a sound and as I recall I've never seen a firework look like it had a trail of fire behind it. I searched on google to see if anyone else had seen it- found this website- but what I find strange is the fact that everyone is from Ontario- and I saw it in Montreal! Would you please keep me updated on this? Thank you so much for your time and consideration! Best Regards, Jonathan Beaton


Kingston, Ontario huge fireball blueish/greenish 12:50 am 10APR2011
I live in Kingston, Ontario. This morning at about 12:50 I looked out my rear window and saw a huge fireball dropping almost vertically through overcast skies, disappearing behind a ridge to the west. It had an enormous tail, almost as thick as the fireball itself. Holding my hand at arm's length for comparison, it was as long as the width of my palm. Both the head of the fireball and the tail were lit up with a blueish/greenish light. I took a drive to the west along Taylor-Kidd Boulevard, stopping on a rail overpass bridge to check for fires or emergency activity ( it was THAT close!) but saw none. I got as far as the dock for the Amherst Island ferry before turning back. I talked with a couple of constables who had stopped beside the road ( speed-trap ) and asked them if anyone had reported a fireball, but they were not aware of any. Not too surpising, since there was almost noone out and about.  Further to the info I sent ( copied below) I wanted to mention that the trajectory of the fireball was from left to right. That is, although the descent was almost vertical, it did have a slight curve that rounded out on the right side. As I was looking to the west that would mean it had come from the south or south/east.
Anyway, I was glad to find this site to share my info on. Cheers, Brian


ChatBox (timestamps Tokyo time):
Apr 10 2011, 11:03 PM
Guest704 (guest):Chauntel, 12:45am,Peterborough,ON,Canada. Last night at approx 12:45am I was walking home when the sky above me lit up. I thought it was a firework, but it didn't make a sound,and within fractions of a second a large comet-like object and streaked downward across the sky. It went for about 3 seconds then seemed to explode into a ball of fiery green light. I've never seen anything like it.

Apr 10 2011, 11:06 PM
Vince Dwyer: i seen the same green one going east last night at the same time i live in cambridge about a hour west of toronto

Apr 11 2011, 12:01 AM
Guest180 (guest):Peterborough, ON approx. 12:45AM APRIL 10 a huge green flash appeared in the sky. I don't recall hearing anything but the light was very, very bright.

Apr 11 2011, 12:32 AM
Guest414 (guest): this meteor landed about 20 feet from my car,because i was looking out the side window, not even into the sky its in the forest so im going to see if i can find it

Apr 11 2011, 2:03 AM
Guest670 (guest):Heard a loud sonic boom sound coming from the west of Kingston last night around 12:45 or so.My son also heard it at the same time.

Apr 11 2011, 5:29 AM
Chris Hart: Chris Hart, 10:30'ish PM,Bloomington, IL caught a rapidly moving blue flash that was traveling at a high speed.

Apr 11 2011, 5:30 AM
Laurence Timothy Nealson: Saw a meteor enter the atmos west wales 2am traced south north, very bright fire ball lit up the whole sky. Never seen anything like it.several sonic booms in the night.camping on a beach west wales.


Apr 11 2011, 6:18 AM
natedogg (guest): i as of yesterday of about1244 am in ny spotted the green firball from warrensburg ny from on top of the mountain range called hackensack while camping is this fireball circling something

Apr 11 2011, 6:19 AM
Guest415 (guest):saw a meteor at approx. 1:15 am this morning in Orchard Park New York
green fireball very large, looked to hit the ground but turned orange and white and then gone just above the ground.

Apr 11 2011, 9:44 AM
Guest251 (guest):Never seen anything like it before in my life. I live in Apsley,ON and was drivingaprox south on West Bay rd, only about .5 K or so in from 620 and something very bright white and with kind of a Green tail went by very fast, it was at aprox 12:45 don't know the exact time,anyone else in Apsley see this??

Apr 11 2011, 10:07 AM
Guest251 (guest): If you did contact me at jwwattholdingsinc@gmail.com

Apr 11 2011, 10:13 AM
Tony Snyder: we saw a bright greenih fireball going fast downward in the northwest sky inmid-washington state at about 11:50 pm PST-totally awesome!

Apr 11 2011, 10:14 AM
Guest576 (guest):Hamilton, ON,Canada April 10 approx 1:30am. Yes I can confirm I also saw a large meteor falling in the sky similar to Melissa. I saw it from inside my home facing East.Appeared to be moving southwest to northeast. By the time I saw it, it was low on the horizon and appeared a large white fireball, much larger than a typical meteor shower like the persaids, must have been extremely close! Glad to have confirmed others witnessed it! Katie West

Apr 11 2011, 11:40 AM
Annik Villeneuve: I tought I was crazy last night when me and my sister saw a bright light then change to green before it exploded.We were driving on the 417 going toward Ottawa

Apr 11 2011, 12:49 PM
Guest489 (guest):Springfield, IL green fireball April 9 just past 11 PM .. seen several meteors in my life, never seen one that took up so much of the sky so it was either very close or very big .. green with white tail and seemed to be losing pieces .. saw it in the eastern sky and seemed to be moving from south to north




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a green ball of light over Canandaigua New York close to 1am. I only saw it for a minute but it seemed to move slow. It was big and at first I thought it was a firework

Gaetan Cormier said...

Is there a way to contact Brigitte from Québec? I'm in the Province of Québec also and I would like to discuss her observations with her.

Anonymous said...

green fireball 12:50, ontario, cobourg, April 10th

I saw it clearly. I would say it was heading southsouthwest from cobough ontario, and from the speed it was traveling, would have traveled a great distance before hitting the ground.

Anonymous said...

I live in Rochester, NY and I was the Durand beach on lake Ontario and out over the lake it looks to me that someone had launched a flair/firework from the water towards land, after looking at the water and discovering no boats, i have no clue what it could be. Very strange so many people sighted it, when to me it looked close enough i though it was a flair... very peculiar btw my girlfriend spotted to army helpcoptors flying in formation going out over the lake... iddkk sounds fishy to me..

Richard Dow said...

Saw the same Green/Blue fireball last night (april 9th) in Northwest Indiana. Was in the south west sky. Very bright and only lasted about 3 seconds.

Anonymous said...

i saw a green fireball lastnight april 10th 2011 in hamilton ontario i think it might have landed like one block over from me. Should i go and try to find it?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad other people saw this! My family thought I was crazy. I live in Holland, NY about 30 miles south of Buffalo NY. It was 12:50am and I was in bed watching T.V. when I spotted a green glow shooting across the sky. It was huge and bright. Any more thoughts on what it was?