11 September 2010

Southern California Meteor Event 10SEP2010 11SEP2010

Clear skies and a large meteor sighting over the Southland dazzles commuters
September 10th, 2010 12:49 pm PT
The U.S. Coast Guard reports that the crew of the USS Sterett saw a fireball streak across the sky at around 5 a.m. Friday morning. Ironically this sighting happened during a time where the marine layer was not present. ...

San Diego Meteor September 10, 2010


posted on YouTube by stacyphx | 2010年09月10日2778 views

Given all the reports of near-miss asteroids in the past few days, I thought this story was interesting. A reported meteor/fireball streaked across the sky from Mexico to Long Beach at 5AM this morning, September 10, 2010.


Meteor sighting over San Diego; Meteor or Edwards Air Force Base landing


The Weather Space
SAN DIEGO, California -- TheWeatherSpace.com's newsroom inbox was flooded this morning and still is from a large meteor sighting over Southern California. ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw it when I was walking my dog at approximate 5:15 am. Damn thing was huge -- almost twice the size of Venus at its brightest, and the fireball lit up the sky for about 2 seconds.

Funny though, when I saw it I was in Fullerton and it was to my east, which is Riverside County, NOT Long Beach (or San Diego, for that matter). And I'm quite certain of where I was when I saw it, I walk my dog the exact same route every day, and it was definately occurred to my east.

in Chandler, Arizona said...

I saw it. It was so cool. Leaving at 5:06 am Arizona time, turning right at my street to go west and there it was, gently falling, big yellowish white ball of light. I wondered what the heck is that.
As it neared the ground it flashed a faint green then was gone.