04 December 2010

Meteor/Meteorite News 4DEC2010

Meteor Reports from Readers of Meteor/Meteorite News:
Colorado 3DEC2010 meteor video or news reports requested please email drtanuki@gmail.com  Thank you!

coast of Washington State 3:15am PST 12/4/10
Guest439 (guest):Larry Thevik wrote, 3:15am PST 12/4/10
meteorite over coast of Washington State traveling from se to nw 5 second duration.


Ottawa, Kansas 11PM 3DEC2010
Anonymous commented,
"I was traveling south about 20 miles south of Ottawa, K.S. on Dec 3, 2010 at 11pm I seen a big green flash behing the clouds then I seen a hug white balling falling and appeared to explode and then disappear all less than ten seconds."

Golden, CO @6:30 on December 3, 2010
Guest206 (guest) wrote elp allsky: Saw a very large green ball of light in the sky north east of Golden, CO @6:30 on December 3,2010. At first I thought it was a fireball from an exploded plane it was that large- but it was green in color,moved very quickly,and diddipated quickly. It was quite beautiful and stunning.It fell to the NNW in the sky (still significanyly east of Golden and, it appeared, Denver)

Golden, CO, at @ 6:30 pm 3DEC2010
Guest921 (guest) wrote:Yesterday, Dec. 3, I was leaving a restaurant in Golden, CO, at @ 6:30 pm and saw a HUGE green ball in the sky to the Northeast,falling North North West. At first I thought it was plane that had blown up into a fireball, it was that big, but then the way it disappated, I assume it was a meteor. It was HUGE (and beautiful!) It was much bigger than any shooting star that I have ever seen.It moved very quickly.My husband, who left the restaurant and went to a different car, did not see it.


Brekenridge, CO to Denver Hwy 6:30MST 3 DEC2010
Jennifer wrote, "A friend and I were driving back from Breckenridge, CO (to Denver) and saw a HUGE ball in the sky.  We were in the mountains so I’m not positive about the direction but it looked to be moving downward from the north heading east.  It lasted so long and was so big that we actually wondered if Denver would still be there when we got back.  It was right around 6:30 MST.  It looked to be white/greenish and was above the clouds but not so high that it looked to be out of the earth’s atmosphere.   The object looked the size of a cantaloupe from our vantage point so I can only imagine how big it really was.  The clouds lit up as it fell behind them and eventually it fell beyond our view since we were limited by the mountains around us.  Even still, the event lasted at least 7 seconds, probably more.  I’ve seen many shooting stars and this was so far from what a typical shooting star looks like that I cannot imagine that it didn’t cause some damage if it actually was a meteorite.  I guess there is always the possibility that it was a flare, but it seemed far too high and to be moving  much more horizontally to the earth than a flare would.  We tried googling it when we got home but hadn’t found anything yet.  This morning I saw this site when I googled it again so I thought I’d way in.  Any idea what this was??"


Westminster, Colorado ~18:29 3DEC2010
justme (guest) wrote: I saw the same as mentioned by Buck Lynn earlier tonight and finally took the time out (to try and find out what I saw). I am in Westminster and I gasped and it looked so large I tried to make my husband look at what I half thought was a plane crashing. lol
This was also out of the north... and it was after dinner but I do not know the time,but it was very bright and huge, white in color. I forgot to make a wish, after I mentioned it and talked with my husband about what he missed looking at he told me to make a wish...hey if I get a million dollars we will celebrate (but it must have been about 2 or 3 minutes after it vanished from the sky).

Denver, Colorado ~18:29 MST 3DEC2010
Buck Lynn wrote: "My name is Buck Lynn, in Denver, Colorado. I was just looking for info on what I saw tonight, it was at 18:28pm MST in the North sky slightly east. Biggest entry I have ever seen. I'd love to know if this was unusual? it was SO big I immediately texted a friend of mine after the sighting, that msg was sent at 18:29 MST so the event occured within the last minute or so.  I`m an hour and a half north of Monument CO,though and the body was way north of me.I was in prime vewing position.  
That scared me I actually braced for impact. I`ve seen lots of falling stars"this was way different and much bigger. "

North East of Monument Colorado  TIME? 3DEC2010
Guest359 (guest):Just saw what appeared to be a meteorite North East of Monument Colorado...Big,Bright, Blue...fell through the clouds and lit them up...Way cool...what was it???

Stillwater, OK at 23:00 central time 3DEC2010
Guest185 (guest): Saw a green light falling from the sky from Stillwater OK at 11PM central time 12/3/10. I was driving east and saw it slightly to the south.
reported on http://www.elpasoallsky.blogspot.com/


Mitriza (guest) wrote: So glad we weren't the only ones to see it! We were driving north from Colorado Springs at about 6:30 pm on 12/3/2010 and saw a blue-green light to the NE falling quickly. It faded for a half second and then came right back. We were waiting for a boom or fireball but nothing happened.Very curious. Never seen anything like that before.  

North of Austin, Texas  11:20 P.M. 2DEC2010
Guest583 (guest): I live just North of Austin, Texas & was outside having a smoke, around 11:20 P.M. last night, December 2nd, wen I saw that largest meteor(?) of my life.This was no faint shooting star. This was a brilliant, white-white/blue, object that left a substantial trail & looked to be "shedding" material in its wake. It was truly amazing, a sight I will never forget. Anyone else hear anything about this one?  Oh, & it was in the West,Southwest sky,moving from South to North, possibly away from me but I have no way of knowing for sure from where I sat. If anyone has any additional information on this observation,or any questions,please contact me. Thanks much, Rob (contact info on file)

Meteor/Meteorite News:
Arsenic-eating bacteria (and meteor) open new possibilities for alien life
Examiner.com
They concern a car in Peekskill, New York that was hit by a meteor so precisely that its 4" x 24" rear signal-light was plucked out, leaving the chrome ...

Geminids Meteor Shower: 'Up All Night' With NASA!
NASA (press release)
The 2010 Geminid meteor shower promises to be lively, with realistic viewing rates of 50-80 meteors per hour and potential peaks reaching 120 meteors per ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was traveling south about 20 miles south of Ottawa, K.S. on Dec 3, 2010 at 11pm I seen a big green flash behing the clouds then I seen a hug white balling falling and appeared to explode and then disappear all less than ten seconds