04 August 2010

Meteor/Meteorite News 4AUG2010

Arizona Fireball Reported 3AUG2010
On Tuesday August 3rd, at approximately 12:58 a.m. I saw a bright fireball that
broke up into five or six pieces. I was driving directly south on Old Spanish
Trail (in the Jeremy Wash/Rincon Creek area). The fireball appeared in the
vicinity of Iota Aquarius, and went south to about two degrees of Fomalhaut.
Fortunately there were some good landmarks in the sky (but it took me a while to
figure out which stars they were). Its path was directly between those stars.
I didn't hear anything because I had my window up. I had a great view - it was
very bright, but because of the moon, it was hard to judge just how much it lit
the area up. It was very awesome to say the least.
The track didn't seem to be too long, so it's possible it was falling at a very
steep angle. Maybe pieces made it to the ground in Arizona rather than Mexico.
It also appeared that when it broke up, the pieces were traveling laterally, not
in single file (not sure if that is significant). Hopefully it was caught on a
few cameras. Please pass the word for people to check their cameras and the
Doppler. It should have been caught on Mt. Hopkins like Whetstone Mountains
fall. It also left a trail that glowed about 10 seconds, so hopefully that
means something will show on the radar (?).
I'll probably be off line until next Monday, but I will try to check my email if
you have any questions.
I'm hoping something is found! Clear skies and happy hunting to all of you!
Mark Bowling
Vail, AZ

Prepare for the 2010 Perseid meteor shower

iTWire
By William Atkins The Perseid meteor shower is expected to peak on August 12-13, 2010. Do you know why they are also sometimes called “the tears of St. ...


CME impact sparks geomagnetic storm

Space Weather News for August 3, 2010
http://spaceweather.com


CME IMPACT: As expected, a coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field on August 3rd. The impact, which occurred around 1730 UT, sparked a polar geomagnetic storm. At the time that this alert is being written, sky watchers in Europe as far south as Germany are reporting red and green Northern Lights. If the storm sustains itself for a few more hours, people in North America might see a similar display. Sky watchers in Alaska, Canada, and northern-tier US states such as Wisconsin, Minnesota and Maine should be alert for auroras. ...
http://spaceweather.com


Planets, meteors prepare show for western skies

KSL-TV
The annual Perseids meteor shower is predicted to reach its peak on Aug. 12 before dawn or in the early hours of Aug. 13. Telescopes and binoculars won't be ...

Perseid meteor shower events Aug. 14 at Pokagon and Indiana Dunes state parks

Examiner.com
I remember well some August nights my mother insisted my brothers and I head out to the back yard with her to watch the Perseid meteor shower, ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On Tuesday, July 10, 2010 at approx. 9:20 p.m. I was sitting on a park bench playing with my dog in the Granville development in Prescott Valley, Arizona. I was waiting for my dog to catch his breath from playing Frisbee and happened to be looking up into the sky marveling at how bright the Big Dipper appeared, when suddenly out of the Northeast a huge "fireball" streaked across the sky laterally. It seemed to be very close and my first thought was that someone had shot off a homemade missile or something. As it continued it's path, the tailing was very bright and very wide. Wish I had a camera with me!