14 November 2011

Illinois / Wisconsin Lime Green Meteor Fireball 13NOV2011

Morris, IL Lime Green Meteor Fireball ~9:50 PM CST 13NOV2011
I noticed a lime green ball of light with a thick tail in the sky around 9:50pm central time on November 13, 2011. I was in Morris, IL on airport road, heading east. The fireball was heading west to east in a diagonal direction. The light was extremely bright and the falling object was rather large. The light lasted for 2-5 seconds. The tail disappeared in a sparkling type fashion. It didn't appear to look like regular "shooting stars". It was pretty incredible to see. No noises were heard and it didn't seem to appear in a flash. It was about 50km in the sky and dropped to apr 30km.
Thanks, Meaghan from Morris, IL  Thank you Meaghan!

Wheaton, Illinois Meteor 9:52 pm 13NOV2011
On 11/13/11 9:52 pm CST in southern Wheaton, Illinois - a white ball of light heading in a eastern, slightly southern, direction; lasted approx. 2 secs from my view through my glass balcony door. No sound or flash noticed.-Krista  Thank you Krista!

Milwaukee, WI Meteor ~9:30 13NOV2011
I live in Milwaukee, WI and last night at approx 9:30 PM my sister and I witnessed what appeared to be a meteor traveling in a southeastern direction toward Chicago. We didn't spot it until it was about 20-30 degrees above the horizon, it was extremely bright, with a yellow-greenish color and a very long trail behind it. I would say it lasted about 4-5 seconds before disappearing over the horizon, it did appear as though some pieces broke off just as it got above the horizon. Incredible sight!-Matt Fridley  Thank you Matt!

Milwaukee, WI
I also saw the meteor reported by two observers in IL. I'm in Milwaukee. It was the brightest thing in the SE sky, fell about 2 seconds, mostly down, slightly to the east, at 9:52 p.m. I did not detect, as previous poster did, a lime green color. Just very bright, with a thick tail. No sound. This is the second biggest I've ever seen (biggest during the Perseid shower in summer 2009).
Peggy  Thank you Peggy!

Chicago, Illinois
Hello, I also saw a very large, very bright meteor southeast of Chicago heading northeast from a southwestern direction. I was located near 1-57 and 119th St in Chicago. The light was larger than the airplane's headlight that it barely missed. The time was a little before 10pm (a few minutes before the nightly testing of the air sirens). The meteor was the brightest I have ever seen, the largest by far (like I said, at least three times as large as the approaching airplane headlight that was about 10 miles from landing at midway airport), and had a very long tail that ended with a firework like finish (sparkly). It lasted for a relatively long time as well (about 3 seconds). It was pretty amazing, but so close that I looked for a while to make sure it did not hit any approaching aircraft since the timing (the ten o'clock bank) and proximity to the approaching air route made that a possibility. The next approaching plane I saw had banked to the east, possibly to avoid it if the pilot saw it coming. Again, this was a very spectacular and large meteor. It seemed to be more than simply a 'falling star' though I did make a mighty wish!!-Candyla B  Thank you Candyla!

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Read a few posts about this object so thought I would share what I saw last night:
I am in Glen Ellyn, Illinois, and saw a large glowing object descending eastward, at approximately 9:50 pm, lasting for about 3 - 5 seconds. This ball of light appeared bluish in color from my perspective, with a whitish glow around it, then dissapeared. This object did not streak in a similar manner as meteors I have seen in the past. It was unusual as it was much bigger and brighter. Amazing sight! ~lisa  Thank you Lisa!


Other reports?
Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos? please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you! 2011 The Year of Meteors!