02 July 2011

Athens, Greece Large Meteor Fireball ~21:20 30JUN2011

Athens, Greece  Large Meteor Fireball ~21:20 30JUN2011
Athens, Greece ~21:20 30JUN2011. Yesterday me and my wife saw a "large" fireball on the sky. My immediate thought was that it was a meteorite, however it was remarkably large and you could distinguish a core of dark body in the middle with clearly shaped fire flames on top and bottom and a not so long tail of fire behind it (the sun was not set yet and there was a blue background). It seemed to fly at mid sky (as observed from the ground) and had an approximate West-Northwest direction. We saw it for about 3-4 seconds and it seemed strange as it disappeared almost as suddenly as it appeared. (not like the burning stars in the night that seem to burn off). This was by far the biggest and most spectacular thing I have seen in the sky. A.S.

Athens, Greece 
I saw it too in Athens, the whole thing lasted about 20 seconds and it looked like it was half as bright as the full moon with a green colour. -Anon.

Kalamata, south Peloponnese, Greece
I saw it too! Just sitting down for a sea-side meal in Kitries (near Kalamata, south Peloponnese). Had just said to friends - maybe one of them should drive my car home afterwards as I intended to drink plenty of wine - when I shouted that I'd seen a meteor.
They suggested I was already past the limit...!
None of them were facing north as I had been.  -Anon.


Athens, Greece Meteor at 21:24 local time 
I also saw that fireball you refered too in June 30 in Athens, Greece, at 21:24 local time from the location of Ymittos Square in Athens, the direction I saw the fireball going was on a E to N direction. With a bright green colour, a reddish tail and orange, yellow coloured fragments.
From my vantage point I could see it was traveling through the sky at about 5 degress per second and it suddently fragmented and disintegrated 30 degrees from the horizon exactly north from where I was.
Luckily I am also an amateur astronomer and I could see it was coming from the direction of either the constellation of Lyra or Bootes.
Hopefully there will be enough precise reports so to be able to triangulate the direction, speed and location of the fireball. -Chris Protopapas


Athens, Greece
I saw this too, from my home in Athens but I didn't know what it was! Amazing! So was it a meteor or something?!? :s

Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos?
please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you!
2011 Year of Meteors!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also saw this here in california. i dissapeared into the west. the core appeared green with a tail of blue.

Anonymous said...

I saw it too! Just sitting down for a sea-side meal in Kitries (near Kalamata, south Peloponnese). Had just said to friends - maybe one of them should drive my car home afterwards as I intended to drink plenty of wine - when I shouted that I'd seen a meteor.
They suggested I was already past the limit...!
None of them were facing north as I had been.

Anonymous said...

I saw it too in Durand, Illinois USA