12 April 2011

Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois Meteor 11APR2011

Chicago, Illinois Meteor ~10:22 pm 11APR2011
Guest442 (guest): 22:10 Monday the 11th viewed from North of Chicago. South East to North West Transitioned from South of me to North West until over the horizon.Bright with tail.visible for 3 seconds or so from my vantage point. Fairly low in the sky.

Chicago, IL Meteor ~10:00 pm 11APR2011
Chicago, IL. - April 11, 2011 - About 10:00PM. A buddy of mine and I were chatting outside. Saw a very bright white light shooting across the whole sky. A shooting? Comet? Idk, but it was amazing. Never seen anything like it. Literally shot across the sky for at least 6-7 seconds then disappeared! It went from East to West. -Scuba Steve 


Horicon, Wisconsin Meteor ~10 pm 11APR2011
I saw the same shooting light in the sky around 10pm April 11th 2011! I followed it for about 3 or 4 seconds then it was gone. My husband and I couldn't figure out what it was! We're in Horicon, Wisconsin which is in between Milwaukee and Madison It was traveling from east to west.
Michelle


Mount Pleasant, Iowa Meteor 10:02 p.m 11APR2011
I live in southeastern Iowa near Mount Pleasant. I was thrilled to see the blogs that I am sure was the same thing I saw. I was sitting on my deck when a bright light from the ESE that when it got overhead was orange and yellow to a greenish tail. It was huge. I have seen meteor showers before but nothing like this. It was visible for 6-8 seconds. I even had time to step up on a table to watch it longer as it dissapeared over my house. It was still lit up before the house got in my way. It was heading WNW. It was almost straight overhead of me so I had a great view. I thought maybe I heard a boom right after it left my view, but very distant and not very loud. I can not believe there has been nothing in the news here in Iowa. Hope you post this to your blog. - Ed H.

South Beloit, IL about 10:15-10:30 CST 11APR2011
I am also looking for imformation about the shooting star last night, April 11 2011 seen about 10:15-10:30 CST. We live in South Beloit IL near the Wisconsin border. This "star" came from the southeast heading northwest. We see alot of shooting stars when sitting in our hot tub but this one was amazing. Bright with a nice sized tail. We never did see it burn out as it went behind clouds in the northwest sky. Spectacular! Sarah E


Chicago Meteor April 11 2011
I live in the south suburbs of Chicago. Last night at around 10. I saw the biggest, brightest, and longest shooting stars I have ever seen! It seemed like it lasted for 10 seconds…..but I was in so much awe that I lost the concept of time. - John M.

Chicago, IL.
Saw the same thing last night as a buddy and I were walking home from the Subway near Division and Milwaukee. I had a feeling and the exact empty part of the sky I was looking at is where the object broke through and lit up like a 4th of July sparkler. I've never seen a meteor so bright and low, and it seemed to fly overhead for a long long while, and vanished into the horizon. -Anon.

Montgomery, IL
Same here - from Montgomery (a suburb of Chicago). In the west section of the sky traveling NW. Lasted at least 5 seconds for me. To date, the best thing I've seen in the sky. A huge fireball that moved rather slowly and a long trail of debris. - Anon.

Anyone else see this? Reports, phonecam captures, Security camera video, Photos?  Please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com  Thank you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I saw the same thing from my April 11, 2011 @ 10:20pm pacific time, quesnel british columbia canada. I was talking to a friend on the phone about these 3 really large stars in a row twinkling and to the west was a star formation of some kind (looked like little dipper but was not) and the stars in this formation were twinkling alternately and looked like changing colors just like christmas lights, then this bright light came from overhead heading north east and disappeared then saw it again heading north west. It lasted about 3-4 seconds it was really low and amazing, I thought it to be a shooting star! i have never seen a shooting star. I have to say it was the first time I have seen the stars twinkle so much and so bright and definately the first time I have ever seen a star formation light up alternatley!

Anonymous said...

I also saw this, April 11, 2011, 10:10pm by my car's clock. Bright, low in the sky, relatively long tail. Went from south-ish to north-ish (not precisely sure what direction I was facing, just generally).
Lasted a good 5 seconds before a tree obstructed my view.

Anonymous said...

i saw one today 4/12/11 it was sometime between 2:00 and 3:00 central time aprox time frame, travel from east to northwest over des moines iowa

Johnny V said...

I was in my driveway at 10:10 PM (CDT) on April 11, 2011 and saw a meteor low in the sky with a very long tail. It was heading from east, southeast to west, northwest. It lasted about 5 seconds before it disappeared.

Unknown said...

I also saw this from Iowa around 10:10PM. It was amazing! Big flash and then a huge streak across the sky! Longest and brightest I've ever seen!!

Anonymous said...

April 11 at about 10:20-10:30 I was at NEIU,at the Foster Ave/Monticello entrance- riding my bike- and I saw a very bright meteor very low in the sky. It was visible for at least 7-8 seconds.