Times Online Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:12 PM PDT
The advert in the astronomy magazine made Rob Elliott an offer he couldn`t refuse. Own a piece of another world, it said. He sent off a cheque and received part of a meteorite, the first of what would become the largest private collection in Britain.
UK's largest private collection of space memorabilia sells for ...
The Robert Elliott Collection consisted of more than 170 individual items, including meteorites, parts of the moon and Mars, asteroids, and space artefacts. ...
| Meteorite Proves Mars Had Thicker Atmosphere |
Discovery Channel Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:28 PM PDT
A watermelon-sized Mars meteor suggests the planet once had a thicker atmosphere.
BBC News Tue, 18 Aug 2009 03:27 AM PDT
Bidders gather for meteorite sale of the century
Meteorite hunter Rob Elliott sells off his collection of space rocks
He sent off a cheque and received part of a meteorite, the first of what would become the largest private collection in Britain. ...
Space Weather News
Space Weather News for August 18, 2009
JUPITER MOON MOVIE: An amateur astronomer in the Philippines has photographed one of Jupiter's moons, Io, casting its circular shadow across another, Ganymede. The movie he made of this rare event is must-see cinema for astronomers. It's playing now on http://spaceweather.com
Astro News - Warszawa,Mazowieckie,Poland
Po bliższych oględzinach okazała się ona meteorytem, a dalsze jej badania mogą rzucić nowe światło na historię Marsa. 18 lipca kamery
Meteorite Proves Mars Had Thicker Atmosphere
18, 2009 -- A huge iron-nickel meteorite discovered on the surface of Mars by one of NASA's robotic geology stations is giving scientists unexpected ...
Deadline Press & Picture Agency
By Cara Sulieman SCOTLAND'S answer to Indiana Jones sold his meteorite collection today (Tues) – but the results weren't as earth-shattering as the experts ...
See all stories on this topic
Darlington and Stockton Times
A RARE space rock found in the region four years ago failed to find a bidder as a meteorite fan's collection raised £110000 at auction. ...
Look for shooting stars at Big South Fork
McCreary County Record
After the slide presentation, join Professor Lewis to look for “shooting stars” from the annual Perseid Meteor shower. The Perseid Meteor shower occurs each ...
Martian Meteorite Means More atMosphere
... of some thoughtful pun-laden post about the whopping big meteorite the rover Opportunity found on Mars, I'll let Starts With A Bang recount the tale. ...
Life's building blocks discovered on a comet, one more red herring
Scientists have found amino acids in meteorites before but hadn't previously in comets. Unless the news story made a mistake it is important to note that ...
The Robert Elliott collection of more than 170 items, includes meteorites and rocks from the Moon and Mars. The auction, which features lots valued from £70 ...
Moon rocks land at CCSU
New Britain Herald
By contrast, small meteors burn up in Earth's atmosphere, and only rarely is a meteor big enough to hit the ground. Therefore, moon rocks all show tiny ...
By SPACE.com Staff Meteor impacts have shaped the Earth and the moon since early in the history of the solar system. Both worlds have been and continue to ...
“But we have a pretty good idea that the comets and meteorites that bombarded the early Earth provided a lot of the material.” Image: 1) Artist's rendering ...
Fundamental Ingredient for Life Discovered in Comet
... "Our discovery supports the theory that some of life's ingredients formed in space and were delivered to Earth long ago by meteorite and comet impacts. ...
The latest from NASA's Earth Observatory (18 August 2009)
* Flying Steady: Mission Control Tunes Up Aqua's Orbit
It takes work to maintain a satellite’s orbit. In late April 2009, mission controllers piloted NASA’s Aqua satellite through its eighth orbital correction maneuver.
* Hurricane Bill in First Full Disk Thermal Image from Newest Weather Satellite
* Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
* Mount Hood, Oregon
* Drought in California's Central Valley
* Lockheed Fire, Santa Cruz Mountains
* Charcot Island, Antarctica
* Fresh Craters on the Moon and Earth
* Drought in Texas
* NASA Satellites Unlock Secret to Northern India's Vanishing Water
Headlines from the press, radio, and television:
* Water Triggers New Zealand Quakes
* Water Atlas a 'Crystal Ball' for Rainfall
* Freak Wave 'Hot Spots' Identified
* Climate Fixes 'Pose Drought Risk'
* Wildfires May Impact Air Quality, Damage Lungs
* In Quest for Efficiency and Conservation, NASA Turns Technology Earthward
* Ganges Delta: Gorgeous, Wild and Deadly
* Earth Hums, and it's "Loudest" in Europe, Americas
* Hurricane Season 2009: Where Are All the Storms?
* Before-And-After Photos: Vast Aral Sea Vanishing
* 'Spiderbots' Talk Amongst Themselves Inside Active Volcano
* Arctic Ocean May be Polluted Soup by 2070
* Seismic Boom: Breaking the Quake Barrier
* Vast Expanses of Arctic Melt in Summer
Press releases from institutions that either address climate research or are NASA-funded.
* Long Debate Ended Over Cause, Demise of Ice Ages – May Also Help Predict Future
* Researchers Show How Organic Carbon Compounds Emitted by Trees Affect Air Quality
* Climate-Caused Biodiversity Booms and Busts in Ancient Plants and Mammals
* Missing Link of Cloud Formation
* Climate Models Confirm More Moisture in Atmosphere Attributed to Humans